Wednesday, May 16, 2012

First Time for Everything

Let's start this first entry as a tribute to one of my favorite daytime programs: The Chew.

Last week's theme was Mother's Day and each host's mother visited the show throughout the week.  The episode that I was watching while sick on the couch was with Michael Symon's mother, Angel.  While paying tribute to his Greek heritage, Michael made his Egg and Lemon soup (or known as avgolemono soup) in honor of his mother's remedy whenever feeling sick or under the weather.  It was an instant hit to my husband and daughter when I re-created this later that night.  So, I share with you my take on this traditional soup.





To see this recipe on The Chew, please click here.

INGREDIENTS:
1 box chicken stock
4 eggs
Juice from 3 lemons
1/4 tsp cornstarch
1/2 to 3/4 cup Orzo or rice
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 to 3/4 cup fresh spinach leaves, shredded
1 cup chicken breast, cooked and shredded

PREPARE AHEAD: When I purchase a packet of chicken breasts, I usually divide the breasts into 2 freezer bags.  If I know I'll need chicken later in the day, I'll go ahead and cook 1 breast in a pot of salty, boiling water.  Once cooked (which takes no longer than 10 minutes depending on the thickness), I'll shred the chicken and store what I don't use in the freezer.

STEP 1: In a large pot, bring the whole box of chicken stock to a boil over medium high heat.  Once boiling, lower the fire and throw in the orzo and cook for about 15 minutes.  Throw in your carrots and celery into the pot after 5 minutes.  Continue cooking everything in pot until tender.

STEP 2: While the orzo is cooking, whisk the eggs, lemon juice, and cornstarch in a bowl.

STEP 3: Lower your fire of the pot of chicken stock and ladle about 1-2 cups of stock into your egg and lemon mixture (to temper) to avoid curdling.  (You don't want your soup to turn into egg drop soup!)

STEP 4: Add the egg and lemon mixture back into the pot of chicken stock and cook for another 5 minutes on low heat.  Add your cup of cooked chicken breast and shredded spinach leaves.

Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your love and support!